Pre-event: Overview of Building Bridges Initiative (BBI)
This pre-BBI Training Event session will provide an introduction to the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI), and practices that operationalize the BBI principles of family-driven, youth-guided and cultural and linguistic competence. The session will begin with an overview of the BBI framework and residential best practices being used across the country, including sharing of findings from the research to inform residential transformation efforts.
This pre-event session will also share research about why Family-driven Care (FDC), Youth-guided Care (YGC), and Culturally and Linguistic Competence (CLC) practices are critical for ensuring successful long-term outcomes for children and families post residential discharge. A range of FDC, YGC and CLC strategies for successfully engaging families and youth will be shared, including from the perspective of a family member/advocate and a former youth/advocate.
- Beth Caldwell, MS, Director, Building Bridges Initiative (MA);
- Sherri Hammack, BS, Coordinator, Building Bridges Initiative (TX);
- Lloyd Bullard, MEd, Building Bridges Initiative Provider Exchange Coordinator (GA);
- Karen Anne Johnson, FDC, FPC, Family Peer Advocate, Community and Residential, SCO Family of Services (NY); and
- Katie Rushlo, Central Regional Youth Partner, YOUTH POWER! (NY)