Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner - Monument Academy - Washington, DC
Part Time Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Position Description
Unique opportunity at innovative charter boarding school targeting foster care youth
About Monument Academy
Working with at risk pre-adolescents and adolescents, and established on an innovative model integrating excellent academics with evidence based, trauma informed clinical and educational practices, Monument Academy is a weekday boarding school that opened in the 2015-¬2016 school year with a 5th grade class of 40 students and will grow to 120 5th-7th graders in 2017-¬18. The school is currently authorized to expand to 8th grade and maintains the goal of growing through high school so that students will ultimately earn their high school diplomas from Monument Academy.
The mission of Monument Academy is to provide students, particularly those who have had or might have contact with the foster care system, with the requisite academic, social, emotional, and life skills to be successful in college, career, and community, and to create an outstanding school that attracts, supports, and retains exceptional and caring people. Monument Academy will fulfill its mission by providing stability, adult connection, high quality academics, therapeutic support, and life skills for pre¬teens and teens. Monument Academy graduates will be prepared for post¬secondary education, on a career trajectory, and have the social, emotional, and self care skills to maintain a healthy, connected, and economically self supporting life.
About the Position:
This is a part time position for 3-4 hours in the morning, Monday-Friday. This individual will report to the Director of Well-Being, and will have the opportunity to consult with faculty physicians at Georgetown University Hospital’s Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. The primary responsibilities of the position will include
• Clinical assessment of students presenting with emotional, behavioral and relational concerns.
• Diagnosis of psychiatric disorders and mental health conditions, in collaboration with consulting psychiatrists.
• Provide screening for physical health conditions and referral to pediatric primary care practitioners.
• Monitoring patients’ medication compliance, side effects, and beneficial impacts of medication.
• Administer psychiatric and other medications in school, as needed.
• Serve as a liaison between school personnel, family, community, and health care providers with respect to mental health.
• Participate in team meetings (IEP, 504, Response to Intervention, phone consultations with psychiatric providers) regarding individual students, as needed.
• Maintain accurate records in electronic medical record.
• Support Medicaid reimbursement processes through appropriate documentation.
• Psychiatric Nurse: 1 year minimum
• Experience with school-based mental health, inpatient psychiatry service, or residential therapeutic setting strongly preferred.
Required license or certification:
• Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) or Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree
Character Traits and Values
• Strong skills in emotional self regulation, patience, maturity, and humility
• Commitment to positive behavioral approaches
• Excellent people skills
• Respect for staff, students, and families
• Ability and willingness to roll up sleeves and be flexible as the school continues to expand
• Proactive and able to anticipate issues while being nimble and able to manage unanticipated events with thoughtfulness and grace
Location: Washington, D.C.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Monument Academy is committed to its policy of full inclusion and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national and ethnic origin in hiring and employment, nor in the administration of its educational policies, or admissions policies.
To Apply: Please apply on¬line and submit your resume and cover letter at www.monumentacademy.org
Prior to uploading files, please name the documents as follows: ∙