Dear Interested Professionals,
The Association of Children’s Residential Centers seeks presentations for its 62nd Annual Conference, to be held March 26-29, 2018. The outstanding success of 60+ years of ACRC conferences can be attributed to the timely and innovative contributions from our members and their colleagues. We invite you to join us in raising the bar of excellence across our field.
In 2018 we find ourselves in Boston, Massachusetts, a city packed with fascinating history and culture, not to mention the numerous institutions of higher learning, such as the famed Harvard University. We will gather in Cambridge along the Charles River, in Harvard’s backyard, with easy access to the excitement of downtown, the historic North End, and the stunning harbor.
Several broad topics will illuminate the theme. Proposals that relate to the suggested topics will be considered as well as papers focusing on other topics that reflect innovative and effective practices. Papers not chosen for workshop sessions may be invited for presentation at ACRC’s Poster Session which has proven to be a very successful event to further the learning experience of our conference attendees. Workshop presentations are 90 minutes in length.
We ask that each potential presenter submit only one presentation for consideration.
Below are suggested themes which ACRC’s program committee requests be the focus of submissions:
-Partnering with Communities (community based services, local schools, police departments, emergency rooms, churches, volunteers, independent living)
-Innovative Organizational Operations (managing managed care, peer leadership, succession planning, social entrepreneurship, blending for and non-profit models)
-Practices Informed by Neurobiology, Evidence, Trauma, Cultural and Linguistic Competence
-Transformational Milieu work (eliminating restraint and seclusion, integrating non-verbal therapies, relational interactions, innovative practices)
-Serving Specialized Populations
-Preparing Young Adults as they age out of care
-Substance Abuse and its effect on mental health, physical health, psychotropic meds
Selection of Presentations
Presentations for our annual conference are carefully chosen by ACRC’s Program Committee. The committee will be looking for papers/presentations which:
1. Model best practice and innovation.
2. Use people-first language and incorporate family-driven, youth-guided values. (Extra weight is given to these presentations during the vetting process)
3. Include youth and/or family members as co-presenters. ACRC will comp registrations and hotel accommodations for young people presenting at our annual conference.
4. Include outcomes data
5. Presentations may NOT market or sell a product, consultant, model or program
6. Embrace the principles outlined in ACRC’s Redefining Residential Series as well as the Building Bridges Initiative, all of which can be found on our website at www.togetherthevoice.org
ACRC extends a $100 registration discount to the person identified as the primary presenter and a $50 discount to any secondary presenters for anyone wishing to be a full conference attendee.
Should your presentation be selected*, you would be responsible for the following:
1. You will give all A/V, room set-up, and other logistical requirements to the ACRC by 2/2/18 and work with ACRC to assure logistical requirements are met. Additionally, you will provide information about co-presenters (name, title, organization, contact information) to ACRC.
3. You will give your presentation in the allotted time, allowing for questions, and will not use this opportunity to market any product or program to attendees.
4. You will submit a full paper or power point no later than 2 weeks before the conference to be shared with ACRC members on our website: www.togetherthevoice.org
*Submission of a paper means that you understand and agree to these responsibilities.
Guidelines for Submission of Proposals
1. Complete the online submission with an abstract of 500-700 words prepared specifically for this request for papers and provide other requested information.
2. Designate a primary author in your proposal. Only that person will receive communication from ACRC and will then be responsible for informing any co-author/co-presenter(s).
3. Deadline for receipt of proposals is Friday, August 25th, 2017
4. Submissions must be uploaded to our website www.togetherthevoice.org
SUMMARY OF PRESENTATION
You will be asked to submit the following, all of which are REQUIRED for submission.
Please have these items ready BEFORE starting the submission process. Once you start, you will need to finish, or start over from the beginning.
There is NO option to save and return later.
1. Abstract: 500-700 word abstract of your proposed presentation
a. Focus of presentation
b. How presentation relates to conference topic
c. Whether the presentation will be clinical, theoretical, or researched based
3. Primary presenter information
a. Name, title, organization/agency/company
b. Address, email, phone number
c. Photo, bio (4-6 lines ONLY) and resume (5 pages max)
4. Learning goals
a. Learning goals for participants
b. Two true/false or multiple choice questions participants will be able to answer if they are present
5. Brief description of your presenting experience
6. Presentation files
7. Additional presenter information
a. Name, title, organization/agency/company
b. Email address
c. Photo of each additional presenter
d. Resume for each additional presenter
Questions may be directed to:
Amanda Prange (414) 359-6548 or email@example.com