Our organization is looking for driven individuals with a calling to help children and adolescents who are struggling with a variety of social, emotional and behavioral challenges by becoming a Residence Counselor. The Residential Counselor is responsible for maintaining the structure of the day-to-day therapeutic milieu utilizing nurturance, routine and recreation. This individual is the person to whom the residents look for affection, understanding, interest, structure and guidance. This position is a great starting point within Residential Life as there is plenty of opportunties for upward mobility and promotions within the department.
• Abides by the policies and procedures set forth in the Green Chimneys Policy Manual
• Directly supervises and is accountable for the residents at all times while on duty.
• Willingness and ability to work with animals and have a high level of interaction with the Green Chimney’s Dog program.
• Follows living unit routine. Uses structure and sets limits effectively.
• Shows competence in supervising residents on off-grounds trips. Follows procedure for vehicle usage
• Participates, plans and supervises age appropriate recreational activities for residents.
• Develops positive working relationships with living unit staff and understands the concept of teamwork.
• Demonstrates the ability to form trusting relationships with residents and serves as a positive role model in the areas of dress, language and behavior.
• Follows established individual Treatment Team Plans for the various residents. Uses appropriate methods to attain goals.
$14.70 – $18.30 per hour depending on the counselor level.
Relocation Assistance: Green Chimneys can provide temporary/short-term housing for about 3 months, free of rent, for those individuals looking to relocate for the position. Housing includes a shared communal areas with a private bedroom. Agency housing agreement is provided and required to be signed before moving in.
Residential Counselor I: HS Diploma or equivalent; no degree; no prior experience. Will consider if enrolled in a degree program or will enroll in a degree program w/in first year of employment.
Residential Counselor II: HS Diploma or equivalent; no degree
Less than 5 years related experience or agency service. Will consider if candidate has at least 1 year of related experience.
Residential Counselor III: HS Diploma w/ at least 5 years related experience in residential treatment OR Bachelor’s Degree (w/ or w/out experience) OR Associates Degree w/ at least 3 years related experience.
Residential Counselor IV: HS Diploma w/ at least 10 years of related experience in residential treatment OR Bachelor’s degree w/ at least 3 years of related experience.
Please note – this position includes weekends and evening hours since our residential treatment center is open 24/7.