Position Reports to: Director of Residential Services
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
POSITION SUMMARY & OBJECTIVES:
Glenwood Academy is seeking married couples to positively impact the lives of diverse children as live-in Part-time / On-Call Relief House Parents .The Relief Houseparent position is responsible for relieving full time house parents of their duties during their scheduled days off and for emergency extended days off. They will be providing a safe and home like environment within the general policies and guidelines of the Agency for the students entrusted in their care. Use of effective verbal and written communication with staff, students and families. Frequent use of computer. Maintains flexibility to adjust work schedule according to Agency needs.
- Daily care and supervision of students entrusted in their care.
- Attend to student’s health, nutrition and rights while in their care.
- Maintain a professional and nurturing relationship with student, parents/guardians, and staff.
- Work as part of a team to ensure high standard of care.
- Participates in team meetings and uses other meetings to accomplish the objectives the agency has for students and families.
- Maintain regular communication with supervisor.
- Monitor safety, health conditions in assigned cottage.
Maintain cottage integrity.
- Plan and implementation of recreation, social activities, and special events for students.
- Ability to work effectively with students and staff in a culturally diverse environment.
- Reinforce positive social and behavioral skills, through everyday encounters.
- Active communication with internal and external team members.
- Complete all necessary reports, forms, and documentation accurately and timely.
Demonstrates a commitment to continuous quality improvement in all aspects of the position.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach positive social behavioral and educational skills, through everyday encounters and family meetings and by setting goals and charting progress.
- Promote and maintain discipline at all times.
- Maintains flexibility to adjust work schedule according to Agency needs
Participate in agency seminars and in-service programs as designated by administration.
- Ensure that health and safety procedures are observed.
- Attend regular statutory training as well as role-specific training.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Married couple for a minimum three years.
- Minimum education level is a high school diploma or GED.
- Experience working with children and youth.
- Must have valid Illinois driver’s license with no suspensions in effect within the previous three (3) years of hire.
- Must have personal vehicle or access to one and provide proof of automobile liability insurance.
- No history of child abuse or neglect.
- Undergraduate Degree in human service field (i.e. Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, etc.).
- Previous work experience in a residential/boarding environment working with children ages 7-18.
Residential (Cottage) Environment. Houseparent live and work with the students in their care. Workday can be long, fast paced, and challenging. House Parents must have a high stress tolerance. Moderate Noise. Workday is a split shift, working early morning and returning to work late afternoon when students return after school dismissal. Position may require off site travel and attendance at outside events on days and times outside of the normal workweek schedule. Houseparent’s workweek begins Sunday evenings; ending Friday evenings.
Standing, sitting, walking, talking or hearing.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required license or certification:
This position meets the FLSA requirement for EXEMPT
Job descriptions are not intended and should not be construed to be all-inclusive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary. This job description does not constitute a contract of employment. Employment at Glenwood is an “at-will” arrangement.