Program: R & E May School, Special Education Department
Status: Full-Time, Exempt; 37.5 hours/week
Role Type: 12-month School Calendar; Permanent
Pay Rate: Starting at $57,000+
Location: 30 N Main Ave. Albany, NY
Schedule: Mon-Fri; 8:00am-3:30pm; Wed: 8am-4pm
Sign-On Bonus: $3,000
We Pay for all Background Checks and TCI Training!
About Our Organization:
St. Catherine’s Center for Children is a non-profit organization that offers a wide array of services designed to meet the needs of vulnerable children, families and adults, including residential and foster care programs for children and youth, homeless and community-based services for adults and families, and a special education elementary school.
St. Catherine’s Center for Children provides a comprehensive range of human services designed to offer hope, foster growth, and improve the lives of the children, families, and adults we serve.
Our Special Education Master Teacher are responsible for planning and implementing the educational program for each student assigned to the classroom. The Master Teacher leads and coordinates the work of all classroom staff on a daily basis.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for implementing the IEP and Treatment Plan for each student in the classroom.
- Constructs daily and weekly lesson plans utilizing the goals and objectives from the IEP and Treatment Plan.
- Consults with special service teachers in coordinating the planning and implementation of the IEP and Treatment Plans.
- Responsible for mapping the curriculum using the Rubicon Atlas Curriculum Mapping website.
- Oversees the Teacher Assistant and other classroom staff as assigned.
- Maintains a mediational and therapeutic classroom environment in order to promote appropriate social interaction among the adults and children.
- Responsible for maintaining an orderly and aesthetically pleasing classroom environment.
- Assists students in developing emotional, coping, social, problem solving, and “getting along” skills.
- Responsible for the informal evaluations of the Teacher Assistant assigned to their classroom team.
- Is responsible for monitoring the timely completion of the staff’s annual physical re-examination and other required updated agency documentation for supervisees.
- Responsible for enforcing the St. Catherine’s Center for Children agency and R&E May School policies and procedures.
- Is responsible for the initial level of progressive discipline.
- Participates in the team process of interviews.
- Additional position-related duties as assigned by the Director of Day Treatment.
- Provides individualized, whole class, and small group instruction to the students daily in accordance with the IEP and Treatment Plans.
- Assumes responsibility for the supplementing and supplanting of instruction conducted by the Teacher Assistant.
- May co-teach in the classroom with the Teacher Assistant or special service teachers when appropriate for the students.
- The Master Teacher is responsible for participating in required trainings, planned in-service and case discussions within the agency. It is also required that the Master Teachers engage in seminars or lectures in the community which would lead to professional growth. At times, the Master Teacher may be called upon to present in-service seminars within the agency.
- Master’s degree is required. Master of Science degree in Special Education, preferred. Master of Science degree in related educational area of study may be considered.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Special Education or related area of study will be considered if applicant is currently pursuing Master’s degree in Special Education or related educational area of study.
- NYS Certification in Special Education, Literacy or Students with Disabilities, required.
- Ability to work with students who demonstrate serious emotional and behavioral challenges, ages 5-13.
- Prior supervisory experience, highly preferred.
- At least one year of relevant experience is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a human services agency is a plus!
- Proficiency in various computer applications such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel), Google Business Suite (Gmail, Google Docs), and the Internet.
- Experience with AWARDS a plus!
- Clean and Valid NYS Driver’s License.
- Excellent organization, planning and time management skills.
- Outstanding communication skills, both orally and in written form.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with empathy for those in need.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and, at times, stressful environment.
- Ability to handle sensitive data with strict confidentiality.
- Self-motivated and engaged, with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated placidity and patience; flexibility and adaptability.
- Must have the ability to pass required pre-employment background checks – We pay for all background checks.
What We Offer Our Employees*: $3,000 Sign-On Bonus* for Master Teacher Positions!
- Competitive Salary with an excellent benefits package
- Health Insurance options: medical, dental, and vision
- Generous Paid Time Off and Holiday Pay
- Employee Referral Bonuses*
- On-going Professional Development and Career Opportunities
- Pension Plan with Aggressive Agency contribution
- Life Insurance – Automatic Benefit
- Paid Training & Tuition Reimbursement
- Fast-paced and business casual work environment
*some conditions may apply
EOE Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.