Unit Director - Vista Del Mar - Los Angeles, CA
Vista Del Mar Child and Family Services is seeking an enthusiastic and caring licensed clinician and experienced administrator for the position of Unit Director in our Short Term Residential Therapeutic Program (STRTP). As the team leader, the Unit Director has primary responsibility for a unit of 24 teens with severe behavioral challenges including substance abuse. The director shall oversee a staff of 3 clinicians and 3 supervisors. Up to 30 behavior staff report to the supervisors. This position is responsible for assuring that the clinical environment/living unit is thoughtfully managed at all times, as well as having oversight of the individual clinical care plans for the youth placed. The successful candidate will possess excellent clinical skills, a strong therapeutic knowledge base, effective management and problem-solving skills, and is able to effectively interface with placing agencies, licensing bodies and auditors. Applicant must be flexible and able to adjust to the fast-moving evolving nature of residential treatment.
Our treatment approach is relationship based, Dialectical Behavior Therapy oriented, culturally sensitive and trauma informed.
Essential duties include:
1. Works closely with all unit staff to ensure the safe, healthy, emotional and physical development of the residents.
2. Responsible for ensuring that all youth are receiving appropriate treatment, i.e., clinical, educational, vocational and work programs.
3. Provides direct one on one, weekly supervision to clinicians and Youth Development Counselor Supervisors.
4. Demonstrates an understanding of a DBT, trauma informed, relationship based, culturally sensitive approach in engaging with youth/nonminor dependents and treatment team and provides support and training to staff in this area.
5. Responsible for on-going evaluation and performance of the treatment environment.
6. Responsible for oversight of treatment planning from admission to discharge, including
family finding and permanency planning.
7. Budgeting and management of expenditures.
8. Organization of the work of the facility and delegation of staff.
• Recruitment, appointment, evaluation, training, and termination of staff.
• Review of and response to complaints made by children or their authorized representative.
• Observing and interacting with staff, children, and other individuals, as necessary to ensure the quality of care for children and program services
1. L.C.S.W., L.M.F.T. Must be registered through the BBS (California).
2. Licensed at least 4 years.
3. 5 years of experience working in residential treatment preferred.
4. 4 years of serving in a supervisorial capacity.
5. Clearly demonstrated leadership competence, including competence in staff supervision.
6. An aptitude for treating the youth in the specified residential program
7. Computer Proficient
8. Familiar with DCFS and DMH documentation preferred
9. STRTP Group Home Certified preferred