As a Milieu Treatment Counselor you will have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of Iowa kids and their families. Employees are valued at Orchard Place, and we are committed to providing you with a culture of open communication, collaborative work environment, and opportunities for professional growth and development. Milieu Treatment Counselors supervise the youth ages 10-17 years in Orchard Place’s inpatient mental health treatment center located in Des Moines, Iowa.
Orchard Place values diversity, equity and inclusion, and we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Why you should become a Milieu Treatment Counselor:
- Be a part of youth’s growth and progress.
- Work with an awesome and supportive team to create a therapeutic environment where kids find support and growth opportunities.
- Learn valuable skills and knowledge applicable to future career aspirations. Orchard Place values growth and change, and we are here to support you through your career development.
What you will do:
- Learn, develop and implement intervention techniques consistent with Trust-Based Relational Intervention (TBRI), The Sanctuary Model, and Therapeutic Aggression Control Techniques (TACT2) models
- Improve each child’s mental health and emotional well-being by providing a safe and therapeutic environment
- Participate as an active member of the treatment plan; assisting in the development and implementation of Individual Care Plans
- Plan and facilitate social skills groups
- Act as an advocate for the residents and families, developing a meaningful relationship with the residents and families
- Assist in managing challenging behaviors
- Enjoy a 4-day work week
- Treatment Counselors work a Sunday-Wednesday or Wednesday-Saturday schedule.
As a valued member of the Orchard Place team, you will have the ability to:
- Earn a starting pay rate of $18.00 per hour. Our professional development career ladder offers the opportunity to receive periodic $1.00 per hour pay rate increases and promotions upon completion of each career ladder step (typically every 3-6 months)
- Receive professional development and training opportunities at no cost. Orchard Place values growth and change, and we are here to support you through your own personal career development
- Enjoy a competitive benefits and time off package
- Have your employment at Orchard Place qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF forgives the remaining balance on your federal Direct Loans after you make 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying public service employer (such as Orchard Place).
Sound like a good fit? A few requirements include:
- Bachelor or Associate degree in a human services field
- Experience volunteering and/or working with children and youth
- Exceptional leadership skills
- Passion for mental health and human services
- Ability to collaborate with co-workers and supervisors
- Initiative to motivate and mentor children and youth
- Valid driver’s license and driving record that meets agency guidelines
Criminal, Abuse Registry and Motor Vehicle Record checks completed.
For more information about Orchard Place or to apply, please see www.orchardplace.org/careers