As an Overnight Youth Counselor, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of Iowa kids and their families. Our employees are valued at Orchard Place, and we are committed to providing you with a culture of open communication, collaborative work environment and opportunities for professional growth and development.
Overnight Youth Counselors supervise children and youth ages 10 – 17 years within an inpatient mental health treatment center in Des Moines, Iowa. Schedule works Wednesday- Friday nights and every other Saturday night or Sunday – Tuesday nights and every other Saturday night from 9:45 pm – 9:00 am.
Orchard Place values diversity, equity and inclusion, and we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
As a valued member of the Orchard Place team, you will have the ability to:
- Make a significant impact on and provide valuable input in the overall care and treatment for the chldren and families that we serve.
- Work with a supportive and diverse team to provide the best care to our clients.
- Receive professional development and training opportunities.
- Enjoy a competitive benefits and time off package.
- Have your employment at Orchard Place qualify for the Public Service Loan Foregiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF forgives the remaining balance on your federal Direct Loans after you make 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualfying repayment plan while working full time for a qualifying public service employer (such as Orchard Place).
- Earn a starting pay rate of $18.00 per hour. Professional Development Career Ladder offers opportunities to receive periodic pay increases and promotions
What you will do:
- Ensure the safety and security of 10 or 12 emotionally disturbed children and youth
- Complete and document visual checks on the children at least every 20 minutes throughout the overnight hours
- Provide assistance to children who may be restless or awake at night, new admissions or children who are creating a disturbance
- Prepare and serve breakfast to the children
- Assist in getting children ready for school in the morning
- Complete some cleaning and laundry duties
Sound like a good fit? A few requirements include:
- Minimum requirement of a high school diploma, preference given to individuals with CNA, LPN, associate’s or bachelor’s degree
- Ability to remain awake and alert during the overnight hours
- Experience working with children and youth
- Passion for mental health and human services
Criminal, Abuse Registry and Motor Vehicle Record checks completed.
For more information about Orchard Place or to apply, please see www.orchardplace.org/careers